Our 2020 Vision
The Shine School Media Awards is a programme set up in 2011 to recognise and celebrate the prodigious talent of secondary school students across the country producing outstanding media including school magazines, newspapers, websites and podcasts.
Each year we raise funds for an awards ceremony at the Stationers’ Hall, where young people are rewarded for their flair in writing, editing, design, photography, video and broadcasts such as podcasts, publishing and marketing skills. Our awards day is held each summer, an inspiring, moving celebration of the communication skills of students from across the UK, from a diversity of backgrounds and abilities.
As we reach our tenth year we want to expand on our success but face challenges:
- Teachers and children moving on from schools means it’s essential to contact schools anew each year;
- Our database is four years old and dwindling in relevance;
- School budgets are squeezed to the limit and the demands on the time of teachers ever more onerous.
Our ability to directly reach teachers and tell schools about the awards and in turn help them with their entries has become very difficult.
We seek new funding to address these problems:
- A new database and set of mail-outs to schools across the UK – £5,000
- A fund to cover travel costs for winning students to attend work experience and other prizes that we give our each year – £2,000
- A fund to discreetly offer travel expenses for schools in the most need to attend the Shine Awards – £2,000
- A fund to cover the expenses of at least two Shine committee members to attend Headmasters conferences and exam board open days – £1,000
- A Shine ‘Summer School’ for teachers to attend workshops explaining how to create a school magazine led by leading journalists, designers and editors – £5,000
We want to ensure Shine is a genuinely national competition and these initiatives will enable us increase our net and offer an equality of opportunity, so that no matter where the school is, or how deprived the area, all are able to join in.
Contact Shine directly – email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
Find out what it's like to attend Shine
Shine School Media Awards
@shinemediawards - Jan 20
Newsflash: our entry form for the Shine School Media Awards 2020 is now available from the website. So, what are you waiting for? Entering is FREE and a win brings prestige to your school and looks great on your Uni entry. Find out more here >>> https://t.co/wJe5CICAbN #UKEdChat https://t.co/LJ4L7PoxDR
@Bruges721 - Jan 20
RT @Bruges721: Beautiful brochure printed by @Pureprint . Paper suppliled by @DenmaurPaper on the superlative UPM Finesse coated and UPM Fi…
The Printing Charity
@printingcharity - Jan 20
RT @printingcharity: We're a charity with national reach, helping to support people all over the UK. This map 👇 shows the percentages of be…